SABALAUSKI AIR ASSAULT SCHOOL CERTIFICATE
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Purpose: To provide recognition to veterans of the 101st Airborne Division who served with the Division from the period May 1965 through May 1972 in the Republic of Vietnam and who participated in Combat Air Assaults during that time or who have completed required Air Assault training. Said training must have occurred during the aforementioned dates and under the direction of the 101st Airborne Division or its subordinate units.
Recognition and Award: Recipients will be presented with a certificate noting that they are Honorary Graduates of the Sabalauski Air Assault School at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. The certificate will entitle the Honorary Graduate to wear the Air Assault Badge which is currently issued to graduates of that school. The certificate will read as follows: "This is to certify that (insert name here) is an honorary graduate of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) Sabalauski Air Assault School. He has participated in one or more Combat Air Assaults as a member of the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam and, therefore, has earned the title Honorary Graduate and is entitled to wear the Air Assault Badge."
The award certificate will be dated and will bear the signature block of the Commanding General of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) and will be signed by the Commanding General or his designated Staff Officer.
Criteria for Eligibility: Applicants for the award will have:
* Served in the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam during the time period of May 1965 to May 1972, and
* Participated in a combat air assault during the time period of May 1965 to May 1972, or
* Have completed Airmobile or Air Assault Training in Vietnam under the direction of the 101st Airborne Division or its subordinate units during the above noted dates.
* The award will be available to Infantry, Artillery, Armor, Combat Engineer, Medical Personnel and Helicopter Crew Members who meet the aforementioned criteria.
Proof of Satisfaction of Criteria: The following may be submitted towards satisfaction of the criteria for eligibility:
* Orders or other clear documentation that the applicant was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division during the specified dates.
* Orders for the Air Medal for members of an Infantry, Helicopter Lift Unit or Support Unit earned as a result of participation in Combat Assaults under fire. If orders are not available, a copy of the applicants citation for said Air Medal or a copy of the recipients DD 214 noting the award will be accepted.
* Training Certificate for Airmobile or Air Assault training completed in Vietnam under the direction of the 101st Airborne Division or its subordinate units. Other acceptable documentation includes Unit Training Logs or Form 66 or Form XX.
While the award will be issued by the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) Sabalauski Air Assault School it will be the responsibility of the 101st Airborne Division Association to handle all administration of the award other than the actual production of the Certificate which will be provided by the School.
The School will provide signed certificates to the Association as required. It will be the responsibility of the Association to receive applications, verify that eligibility requirements are met, log the awards by number and recipient, distribute the certificates and the Air Assault Badges to recipients (the Association will charge a nominal fee to recover all costs associated with the award to include cost of the Air Assault Badge, mailing costs and processing costs, etc.).
Any disputes that may arise concerning eligibility of specific recipients will be handled through the office of the Executive Secretary of the 101st Airborne Division Association and will be presented to the Executive Committee. Final resolution of individual disputes will be decided by the Executive Committee of the 101st Airborne Division Association.
Veterans wishing to receive the award will apply, in writing to the Executive Secretary of the 101st Airborne Division Association at PO Box 929, Ft. Campbell, KY 42223-0929. An application form must be included along with all required documentation. The application form will be published in the Screaming Eagle Magazine in the first available issue and will be repeated in that publication as required. The Executive Secretary and his staff will make every effort to promptly respond to each application.
NOTE: Caution - you cannot apply for this certificate - this project was never completed!